Tentative launch date: July 4, 2012
The primary focus of this project is the migration of student email to Google Apps for Education. In addition, students will get access to the Google Apps suite of applications including a massive increase in storage capacity.
Students will get the following:
• A new email address <username>@mtroyal.ca
• Emails sent to your old @mymru.ca address will still be delivered to you.
• Core Google Applications: Email, Calendar, Talk, Drive(docs), Sites, Contacts and Groups.
• Many additional apps will be available but will not be supported by our agreement with Google.
• 25 GB of storage for email, calendar and Google Apps documents
• Another 5 GB of storage for storing any type of files on Google Drive
• Existing mail on Squirrel mail will be migrated to Google Apps after students sign-up.
• Your Google Apps username and password will be the same as your MyMRU username and password.
Who is included in the initial Google Apps migration?
• Active students and new students
Who is not included in the initial Google Apps migration?
• Faculty (see Note below)
• Continuing Education instructors (see Note below)
• Retired Faculty & Staff
Interested Faculty or Continuing Education Instructors will have the option of getting an mtroyal.ca Google Apps account without email so they can collaborate with students. After the launch in early July Faculty or Continuing Education Instructors can request a Google Apps account via the ITS Helpdesk.
The MRU Google Apps steering committee will undertake a full review of implementation for faculty and staff once the student migration is completed.
May 3, 2012
The Google implementation team is presently working on the following:
• Designing and creating technical processes for user migration and maintenance.
• Developing user friendly web interfaces to perform the migration process.
• Creating user documentation and Frequently Asked Questions to be posted on this website.
• Meeting with the Google technical engineers to verify our processes.
Early adopter accounts have been created in Google Apps to test the processes we are developing and to help develop documentation and training materials before the launch date.